If you are thinking about relocating abroad and wondering about certain locations one suggestion I have for your search is to investigate what expatriate/international groups exist in each location.
If you are already decided on where you are relocating to, then take time now to find out what groups exist, how to contact them and then make contact.
If you are reading this ‘home abroad alone’ wondering where your new friends are, then get on the internet and find out what is going on in the expatriate world near you.
One of the most often mentioned issues for new expatriates is the loneliness they feel when they first arrive and know no-one.
Yes it would be lovely to simply slip into local life but often it is not so easy. Expatriate/International clubs offer a ‘fill in’ actually no more than that quite often a life- line!
- Like minded people.
- People who understand what you are experiencing and who will quickly recognise, sympathise and empathise with your issues.
- A great international environment where you can meet people from many different countries/cultures.
- Activities that often help you learn about the new country and culture and get involved in sports and other leisure related activities.
- Practical advice and help, Doctors, dentists, schooling advice, legal contacts, accommodation advice and contacts….
- A possible new role for a trailing partner as an active member of the club.
- Links back into the local community through charity work etc.
My experience of the International Club in Lisbon, Portugal was amazing. At one time I had Portuguese, Spanish, South African, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, French, American and Chilean friends. Talk about a culturally rich and interesting environment we had some great discussions!
So get out there and get involved!
There are Internations social groups in many major cities around the world. Often they are a mixture of locals interested in developing international friendships and expatriates.
International Women Groups.
In many of the big cities around the world you will find a group International Womens Group.
For country specific groups, go to one of the expat websites listed below and look under their country listings.
If you are struggling with the question: Is a life abroad the life for me?
Then come and join my FREE Tele-seminar, Overcoming Your Move Abroad Dilemma, on June 24th at 8pm GMT – a content packed 60 minute session on how to make the best relocation decision – Hope to see you there! click here to sign up!